Sunday 25 March 2012

how can they sleep?

Birds

A cockatoo climbed a pine tree with his scaly beak and claw,
keeping one eye on me,
who watched in awe.

I can’t fathom how people go about their lives,
talk on the phone,
when such creatures inhabit their streets.

I didn’t buy my train ticket to Sydney,
Instead I stood and watched the waves of rainbow lorikeets
festival the sky with their shrieking.

Leisure time should be reserved for this, for watching birds,
Living bunting,
 Colouring in the green,

I wouldn’t get a thing done here,
wouldn’t be able to walk down the street,

How can they sleep? 
How can they take a bath or a coffee in a cafe,
or watch a film and weep ?
How can they do anything pertaining to normal when on the balcony sits,
 a rosella, with vermillion breast, azure wing and inquisitive  beak?

Sasha Norris,  Wentworth Falls, New South Wales, March 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment